June 7, 2022
Volunteer with Edge
Make A Difference
Are you adventurous and have an interest in sports, outdoors and having fun? Would you like to help young people engage in activities and trips on a regular basis to build their skills and confidence?
We’re looking for inspirational and motivational volunteers with a sense of adventure and an interest in sports, fun, outdoors and wellbeing to help improve the outcomes and the health and social wellbeing of our young people.
Why Volunteer with Edge?
We’re looking for experienced, enthusiastic, and dynamic individuals to join our team of volunteers, working with autistic and learning disabled young adults.
We offer training, flexible hours, an enthusiastic and passionate staff team, and lots of opportunities to get outdoors and experience an innovative new way of working.
Why We Need You?
We believe that outdoor adventures should be as accessible to as many people as possible which is why we do our best to keep the price of our activities to a minimum.
Without the use of volunteers, the cost of fully supported adventures, day trips and clubs would be far beyond the reach of many of our clients. Volunteers allow us to avoid passing costs to those who benefit the most from our services, keeping outdoor adventures accessible to autistic and learning disabled young folk.
What You Will Get Out Of Volunteering
Learn about autism, mentoring techniques and specific skills for your personal development.
You will find the experience incredibly rewarding as you support the development of young people through their transition. References can also be provided after 6 months of volunteering.
We seek applications from anyone interested in volunteering with Edge, but particularly welcome applications from those on the autism spectrum and/or with a disability.
Adventure Support Volunteer Vacancies
We're looking for volunteers to join us on our adventures.
Who is Edge?
Edge Autism is innovative and sector leading, we pride ourselves on doing things differently. The Care Inspectorate gave us ratings of 6-excellent in 2019. In 2020 we launched Edge Adventures, fully supported adventure holidays, short breaks, day trips and clubs for autistic and learning disabled young adults.
What you will be doing
- Making a real difference to young autistic and learning disabled people’s lives
- Taking part in training to prepare you for the role
- Supporting our young people to learn new skills in outdoor adventure settings
- Assist with adventure activities and outings - you can find more about our adventures here
- Support and encourage young people to try new activities
- Help young people to have fun
- Build young people’s confidence and self-esteem
- Volunteering within the boundaries of support work
- Volunteering within the organisational boundaries (i.e. confidentiality, child and vulnerable adult protection)
- Completing all necessary paperwork (i.e. meeting records and expense forms)
Skills experience and qualities useful for volunteering with Edge
- You do not need to have prior knowledge of autism or support work as all training will be provided
- Empathy and understanding
- Open-minded and willing to learn
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Good level of self-awareness and own needs
- An ability to volunteer alone using initiative and common sense
- Reliable, consistent, dependable and trustworthy
- We would like you to commit for at least 6 months after training to provide stability and continuity to the young people we support through our adventures
- A sense of humour, resilience, and flexibility are essential
- We expect all our team to have a skill outside of their primary training, such as music, art, or outdoor sports
When and where
Whilst we are able to make reasonable adjustments for volunteers you will need to be able to volunteer independently as we are not able to offer one to one support. You will also need to be able to travel to Edge’s meeting points (generally at Edge HQ in Musselburgh) we, therefore, ask that you live locally to be able to do this role.
Flexible times are available to suit volunteers.
- Experience required: A passion and enthusiasm for engaging young people in activities and supporting them to have new experiences
- Travel details: Edge Adventures, Eskmills, Musselburgh
- Minimum age: 18
- Training details:
- Induction, safeguarding and child protection training
- Additional Support Needs training
- Specific training relevant to the role
- Ongoing support and supervision
- Support: Named Contact For Volunteer
- Wheelchair Access/Disabled Access Toilet
To apply, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us why you want to volunteer with Edge as well as your special skill (a passion for watersports or climbing for example)
Sign-up to the Edge Adventures newsletter!
Be the 1st to hear about our latest adventures, TeamEdge and TeamWild news, views and subscriber-exclusive treats!